Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency - Information about who to contact

Information about who to contact

Roles and responsibilities of organisations involved in regulating cosmetic procedures and surgery.

Ahpra and National Boards

Ahpra supports the 15 National Boards that are responsible for regulating the health professions. The primary role of the National Boards is to protect the public and they set standards and policies that all registered health practitioners must meet. The National Boards can take regulatory action if a registered heath practitioner is placing the public at risk, is practising in an unsafe way or if their ability to make safe judgements is impaired because of their health. You can find out more about when to raise a concern with Ahpra on the website.

You should also come to us if a person is claiming to be a registered health practitioner when they are not or you have concerns that they are advertising a regulated health service in a way that is false, misleading or deceptive. You can check if someone is a registered health practitioner on our national online register of practitioners.

In NSW and Queensland, we work with our co-regulators, the NSW Health Care Complaints Commission, Health Professional Councils Authority and the relevant Health Professional Council, and Queensland’s Office of the Health Ombudsman.

Therapeutic Goods Administration

The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) is part of the Australian Government Department of Health, and is responsible for regulating therapeutic goods including prescription medicines, medical devices, vaccines, sunscreens, vitamins, and biologicals.

Health products approved for use in Australia appear in the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG). You can make a report to the TGA with concerns about:

  • a medicine or vaccine side effect
  • a problem with a medical device
  • a counterfeit medicine or medical device
  • an issue with packaging or storage of a medicine, and/or
  • advertising a therapeutic good

For information about reporting a breach of the Therapeutic Goods Act, contact the TGA.

Health complaints entities in your state or territory

Health complaints organisations, sometimes called health complaints entities (HCEs), can help with concerns about health systems or health service providers. They can also help with certain concerns about health practitioners, such as refunds and fees and may also help with financial compensation and dispute resolution processes between consumers and health service providers. This can include mediation and/or conciliation. Find out more about the role of health complaints organisations.

Health department in your state or territory

As part of their role, state and territory health departments are responsible for setting the standards for infection control requirements, regulating, inspecting, licensing and monitoring health premises. They also help protect the community from potential harm from medicines. They do this by setting boundaries for the safe storage, prescribing, supply and use of medicines.

Consumer protection agencies

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) promotes competition and fair trade in markets to benefit consumers, businesses, and the community. Their primary responsibility is to ensure that individuals and businesses comply with Australian competition, fair trading, and consumer protection laws - the Competition and Consumer Act 2010. Your local state and territory consumer protection agency (sometimes called 'consumer affairs') can also provide you with information about your rights and options. They may also be able to help negotiate a resolution between you and the service provider if you are unhappy with the outcome, pricing or are concerned that you haven’t got what you paid for.

Page reviewed 20/02/2020