The National Registration and Accreditation Scheme
This infographic shows the objectives of the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme (the National Scheme) and actions that support them. AHPRA and 14 health profession boards (National Boards) work together to deliver the scheme.
Information video about the National Scheme
Watch this short video to learn about how the National Scheme facilitates a mobile health workforce while also protecting people who might use health services.
National Scheme strategy
The National Registration and Accreditation Scheme Strategy 2015-2020 sets out our vision, mission and strategic priorities. This statement has been developed jointly by the National Boards and AHPRA.
- supports the National Boards in their primary role of protecting the public.
- publishes national registers of practitioners so important information about the registration of individual health practitioners is available to the public.
- manages the registration and renewal processes for health practitioners and students around Australia.
- has offices in each state and territory where the public can make a complaint about a registered health practitioner or student.
- on behalf of the Boards, manages investigations into the professional conduct, performance or health of registered health practitioners, except in:
- works with the Health Complaints Commissions in each state and territory to make sure the appropriate organisation deals with community concerns about individual, registered health practitioners.
- supports the Boards in the development of registration standards, and codes and guidelines.
- provides advice to the Ministerial Council about the administration of the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme.
See Who we are for more information about AHPRA.
The regulatory principles underpin the work of the National Boards and AHPRA in regulating Australia’s health practitioners in the public interest.
The AHPRA service charter sets out the values that guide AHPRA, the standards of service you can expect from us, and the steps you can take if these standards are not met.
See our business plan that outlines our objectives for the current financial year.
See the annual report for more information about our work.