Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency - Overseas qualified practitioners

Overseas qualified practitioners

See the COVID-19 updates hub for information about temporary changes in response to the pandemic.

The National Boards have agreed to temporarily accept additional English language tests for applicants who need to use the English language test pathway to meet the English language skills registration standard. Read the news item for more information.

To work as a health practitioner in Australia, you need to apply for and be registered with the relevant National Board. You may also need to apply for a visa issued by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs.

These two application processes are entirely separate and success in one does not automatically guarantee success in the other.

More information on visa applications, including skills assessments and assessing authorities is available on the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website.

Overseas qualified applicants must meet the registration standards of their health profession which includes the English language skills registration standard and the Criminal history registration standard (including an international criminal history check if you have lived overseas for a period of six consecutive months or more as an adult).

Additional requirements also apply to the following professions:

More information is available on the registration standards page.

Page reviewed 24/10/2022