Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency

Graduate Applications

Apply online for registration as a health practitioner four to six weeks before completing your course.

About to graduate as a health practitioner?

Students due to complete an Australian approved program of study can smooth the path from study to work by following the three steps to registration for graduates. To help you understand the application process and what information is needed, please read our frequently asked questions.

Applicants who are not eligible to apply online

If you graduated or completed your course over two years ago you must apply for registration as a health practitioner by hard copy form. Apply using the General registration application form available under Forms on your profession’s National Board website. Hard copy forms must also be used by applicants who are overseas graduates or those who have been previously registered as a health practitioner. Applicants who wish to apply for registration as a dental practitioner in multiple divisions of the profession must also use a hard copy form, as must those who want to be registered in more than one profession (i.e. nursing and midwifery). More information is available on our Other Graduate Application Types webpage.

The three steps to registration

Step 1

Fill out an online application (if eligible) four to six weeks before completing your course. Please note that you will need a Visa or Mastercard credit or debit card to apply online.

Step 2

Send your supporting documents, as per the emailed Next steps checklist, to AHPRA by post within 30 days to complete your application.

Step 3

Wait to be contacted by AHPRA.

What happens next?

Your application for registration will be assessed while we wait for your education provider to advise us that you are eligible to graduate. AHPRA will contact you if more information is needed and/or to confirm your registration.

New graduates registered with their profession’s National Board are eligible to start work as soon as their name is published on the national register.

More information

Page reviewed 1/12/2016