10 Dec 2015
A revised registration standard for Professional indemnity insurance (PII) arrangements has today been published by eight National Boards regulating Australian registered health practitioners.
The revised standard will come into effect on 1 July 2016 and replace the existing standard that is currently in place. All health practitioners from the professions listed below will need to meet the obligations of the revised standards either:
- by the time they next renew their PII arrangements policy, or
- by their next renewal of registration after 1 October 2016, whichever is sooner.
This registration standard does not apply to the current cycle of renewals (that is, it does not apply to late applications for renewal received in December).
To help practitioners prepare for the revised standards, profession-specific advice has been published on the relevant Board’s website:
National Boards will shortly publish more information about the revised PII arrangements registration standard that explains the requirements and what is expected of practitioners, in addition to some common FAQs.
Additional resources about the revised standards
The following revised standards were approved by the Australian Health Workforce Ministerial Council on 27 August 2015:
- Professional indemnity insurance (PII) arrangements.
- Recency of practice.
- Continuing professional development (CPD).
Please refer to AHPRA’s registration standards page for additional information and resources, including:
- letters of approval
- consultation reports for:
- Continuing professional development registration standard
- Recency of practice registration standard
- Professional indemnity insurance arrangements registration standard, and
- common FAQs and timetable for commencement.